In the last post I wrote about modifying a demonstration to make it into an introductory experience that students could use as a concrete experience in which they could ground their thought processes in. One thing that was implied by the way modifications were considered, but not specifically addressed was how those modifications fit in with accepted learning theories.
Developmental Learning theory speaks volumes as to how a student may be able to understand more abstract ideas as the develop cognitively. Since I can't be inside each in everyone of my student's heads I can't know for certain whether or not they are up to the task of tackling an abstract idea like the gas laws. It would be easier to make sure that everyone has a concrete experience to tie the abstract ideas to, that way no one will get left behind.
Looking at the activity and discussion through the mindset of a Social Learning Theorist, encouraging discussion between all of the students I would be tapping into the idea of the "more knowledgeable peer." I know there will be times when I will be speaking "teacher" when the students need to hear the ideas in "student." If one student comes up with a "right" understanding of the idea that we are talking about, then I should try to help students come to an understanding like that. I would try to foster a discussion that would have them analyze the idea, evaluate its strengths and weaknesses, and when it is apparent that students understand the idea, I would write down what the said along with the formalized idea, that way they have their own words to help them understand what the more complex scientific writings mean.
This lesson could also be looked at through the lens of a constructivist. By using a foundation based on a concrete example, then scaffolding the experience so that the students will build an understanding of the ideas that are evident in the demonstration, that they will be able to understand and remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment